Whatever kind of blog you have, there will probably be days where you know you should write something to keep the content fresh, but you don’t know what to blog about. This happened to me today. (And now I’m blogging about not knowing what to blog about. Whoa, that’s meta.)
So for those of you who are looking for your next blog post topic, here are four different ideas to get you started.
1. Review Something in Your Field.
Have you read any great books lately? Watched any decent films? Wasted 2 hours of your life on a horrible film? Did you get sucked into buying a waffle maker that TOTALLY DOESN’T MAKE WAFFLES like it did ON TV? Write a review of any of these things. People love to read other people’s opinions on things. And hey! It might start an epic argument on your blog that gets you a lot of backlinks. Everyone wins!
2. Answer a Question.
Remember back in the day on Livejournal when we all used to fill out those surveys all of the time? I think we should bring those back. Are there questions that you get asked all of the time? I often get asked about self-publishing, for example, so when I was asked to write a guest blog post about how to get started in self-publishing, I thought that was a great idea. (Coming soon!)
And here is a list of 100 random questions if you need to get the wheels turning.
3. Get Personal.
Tell a story about your day or your weekend or your life in general. Are things going well? Are things going horribly? Are you seeing a lot of spiders in your apartment lately? Have you tried anything new recently? Maybe you could just tell your readers something random about yourself. I’m sure there are a lot of things your readers don’t know about like your secret obsession with garden gnomes or how you dress up your dogs like Harry Potter characters sometimes or how you dance around in your underwear when no one’s looking.
4. Reach Out to Your Social Media Followers.
When all else fails, ask your social media followers what you should blog about. I do this sometimes when I need some prompts. In fact, I did this today!
Things my Facebook friends think I should blog about:
– writing (check!)
– blogging (check!)
– writer’s block & the suggestions I get from Facebook (double check!)
– my favorite parts of the journey (saving for later)
– character creation (saving for later)
– sexy vampires who are depressed but have sex all of the time but it’s not actually sex but we know that’s what it is. (um? You are aware that Anne Rice exists, right?)
– my playwright friend wanted me to write about my secret love for him (HOW DID YOU KNOW!?)
– the pros and cons of bacon flavored ice cream! (pro – it’s ice cream! con – it’s bacon flavored! eww – the only thing that should be bacon flavored is bacon – is that a Ron Swanson quote?)
There were some others that I will save for another rainy day when I need some blog writing prompts.
So there you go. Four tips to help next time you have blogger’s block. Hey, maybe I will even use them next time.